There is nothing worse than eating a heavy meal on a hot summer day. If you are like me, you prefer to eat lighter meals during this time of year to keep an extra pep in your step. Here is a quick recipe that is easy on the waist but big on the taste.
• 6 cups of kale (I used organic tuscan kale)
• 1 cup of mushrooms (I used wild mushrooms)
• 1/2 cup of pecans
• 1/2 apple thinly sliced (I used a local organic gala apple)
• 1/2 cup of onion, diced
• 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
• 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
• herbed goat cheese
• In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and mushrooms with extra-virgin olive oil for several minutes until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are browned.
• Next, add the kale, balsamic vinegar, garlic along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix the kale and other ingredients with a wooden spoon to ensure even cooking. Once the kale turns a deep green but has not wilted, mix in the cranberries, pecans, and apples for 30 seconds then remove from heat.
• Transfer to bowl and top with herb goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Output: 2 Servings
You can also add a cup of farro to the warm kale salad to increase your grain intake or sub the kale with spinach.