It’s avocado season! This is why in most grocery stores you can find them for a reasonable price. I love avocados – they are delightful on sandwiches, in salads, and tacos. They also add the perfect amount of creamy decadence to light summer dishes. The best part is they are cholesterol and sodium free, because more than 50 percent of the fruit’s nutritional content comes from good fats. These are the same good fats that can lower bad cholesterol when consumed in moderation, but you don’t have to take my word for it, just ask the American Heart Association.
Even though avocados play such a healthy role in our diets; I’ve found a sweet little place for them in my heart. They can add moisture to cakes and sweetened breads and they can also liven up a mousse. What better way to stay cool in the summer than a light cool whipped dessert? The pictures aren’t that awesome b/c this was the last little bit left. My taste tester loved it so much she dug in before I could finish my photos.
4 Ingredient Avocado Chocolate Mousse
1 large avocado
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I used bittersweet but chocolate of your choice will work too)
Two small/medium bowls
1. Place your whipping cream in the freezer, 30 minutes before starting the recipe; it can stay there while you complete the other steps. Whipping cream always whips faster and better when it is extra cold.
2. Cut avocado in half, remove pit and scoop into a medium bowl. Mash the avocado until all the chunks and lumps are removed.
3. Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and place in the microwave. You must temper the chocolate first so that it does not burn. Start with your microwave on a high setting and set the timer for 1 min to 45 seconds. After the timer dings, check the chocolate to see how melted it is. Stir the chips around to start moving the heat. If they are not melted all the way, return the bowl to the microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Do this until the chocolate is melted and creamy. Then, incorporate the agave nectar.
4. Add the melted chocolate mixture to avocado and mix thoroughly. And set to the side to cool for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the whipping cream to the avocado mixture and whip them together using your hand mixer. The whipping cream should put air into the avocado mixture. Once you have soft-medium peaks cover the bowl and chill for 2-3 hours or until ready to serve.