Food & Drink
DRINK RECIPE: The Final Ward
by Powell Bernhardt
Recently, I have been obsessed with cocktails containing Chartreuse. So when I discovered that Philip Ward, owner and mixologist at Mayahuel in the East Village created the Final Ward, an oakier version of the gin-based Last Word, I was enamored. Not to be outdone, I found that using a small amount of lime juice coupled with Fernet Branca enhanced the herbaceous element of this heavenly cocktail.
- 3/4 ounce of Rye Whiskey
- 3/4 ounce of Green Chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce of Maraschino Liqueur
- 3/4 ounce of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the ingredients into a cocktail shaker. Shake, strain, and serve. Garnish with lemon peel
- Green Chartreuse – A French liqueur containing over 100 herbal extracts. It is named after the monastery where it was originally invented.
- Maraschino Liqueur – An Italian Marasca cherry liqueur.
- Fernet Branca – An Italian Amaro (bitter) layered with numerous herbs and spices.