New Music: Laffy Taffy Rots Your Teeth
by Winston "Stone" Ford
When someone gives me music to post, its either great (Marv Ellis and Cosmos) or sucks mad bottom (Spec Boogie). Ever since the Spec Boogie thing, I’ve been hella skeptical about the free albums that I post, because I don’t wanna get burned and have commentors like DCFIST come after me.
But Laffy Taffy Rots Your Teeth, the new jawn from LA-based rapper Free Speech (and his LA-Based producer Ro. Blvd) is solid. It’s one of the few albums I’ve gotten this week that I’ve enjoyed off the first listen.
According to the website, “Commercial rap has patronized hip-hop culture with endorsements of blackface and buffoonery for far too long. This is the counter-current to the mainstream — powerful music that massages the intellect and moves your feet.” With that statement, you know that they aren’t going to throw any club bangers at you.
But alas it does sound like almost every other underground hip-hop album out there (but at least the beats are better than The Minstrel Show), and the whole backpacker-entric “why are you talking about bling in your video?” thing is just getting old. But at least do what they do well. Free Speech has a wicked flow and the beats from Ro. Blvd are on point.
01. Intro // Free Speech
02. Shake Your Laffy Taffy // Free Speech
03. Become of Me // Free Speech
04. I Wish // Plat
05. Everything is Different Now // Free Speech
06. Come and Go // Stereo Type
07. Replace U // Stereo Type feat. Free Speech
08. Lovin’ Cali // Free Speech
09. Kick, Push (RAD Edition) // Lupe Fiasco
10. Brekfast Club P.S.A. #1 // Ro Blvd., Free Speech, & TalkSik