Hip Hop Summer
by Winston "Stone" Ford
To me, it seems that my summer has never even started. Last summer I was always out at the club, whereas this season is definitely more low-key and subdued. But summer isn???t over until Labor day, so I still have time to post my favorite summer tracks. For your consideration:
- Memphis Bleek feat Jay-Z – “Dear Summer” – Okay, this is an obvious choice, and yes, this song has been blogged to death. But do I care? Hells no. This song, ladies and gentlemen, is an anthem, plain and simple.
- Black Eyed Peas (feat. Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, Cee-Lo & John Legend) – “Like That” – What? This is Black Eyed Peas? And this song is on their new album, not some unreleased ish from 1998? Huh? I gave up over BEP after they added Fergie and did everything that they joked about in Behind the Front, but this track shows that this group still has a shred of credibility. (props to ej)
- Da Backwudz – “You're Gonna Love Me” – Personally, I'm getting sick of the sped up 70s vocal chorus (a la Kanye West), but somehow it seems to work here. This song has got the perfect mix of crunk and chill and its perfect to blast on your back porch while sippin' some sweet tea.
- Young Jeezy, Jay-Z and Fat Joe – “Go Crazy (Remix)” – Damn, the South is takin' over everything, just like Ian said. This song has been blogged to death as well, but still makes the list just on sheer Jay-Z star power. Honestly, I couldn't care less about Jeezy.
- 69 Boyz – “Tootsie Roll (Set It Off Remix)” – Before Crunk, there was booty. Remember when Booty music ruled the world? (That should be one of those VH1 Specials). The only reason I truly like this song is that it contains a sample from “Moments in Love” by The Art of Noise, which is one of the best. tracks. ever.
- Kanye West, Ludacris and The Game – “Where You At?” – Is it sad that the best song that Kanye West has produced is for a cell phone ad? And an obscure cell phone company too. Still, this is a hard hitting track, with some rap rock beats in the background to set off the lyrical stylings. Don't sleep on this track just because its from a commercial.
- J*Davey – “Mister Mister (Remix)” – I'm pretty sure that these guys hate us, and I'm not sure why. Still, I've been diggin' J*Davey since the beginning of time it seems, but their music always sounds fresh, even on the 5,000th spin. This new remix of Mister Mister is a mindfuck of synth sounds, some chopped and screwed vocals, and some other random ish that I can't explain. (listen here)
Any other songs you feelin' this summer? Let us know in the comments.